[Development] GitHub Pull requests

Max Paperno max-l at wdg.us
Wed Mar 11 09:15:30 CET 2020

Just wanted to chime in as a "could be" Qt dev. Lowering the barrier to
entry by allowing use of familiar tools could be a benefit IF you're
looking for more contributions. I'm sure there's effort involved to
allow this, and maybe it's not practical in the end, but perhaps worth
considering/looking into.

You could look at it as one step less than what's suggested in the
Contributor Guidelines under "A Shortcut...":

"If you have only a minor contribution to make and find the process out
of proportion for that, you may simply attach a patch to a bug report.
However, the more of the necessary steps you defer to the code's
maintainers, the less likely is your contribution to be integrated in a
timely manner."

I did just that recently, submitted a short patch to the docs generation
system via a bug report. Not a big deal, but it could easily have been
an actual code commit w/out the extra step of someone needing to process
the bug and apply the patch themselves... and some code got mixed in/up
in the process so the final change was actually a bit less "clean" than
what I had posted.

This could also be a "gateway method" for bringing the more serious
contributors into the actual gerrit-based process.  ;-)

2¢,
-Max