[Development] GitHub Pull requests

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Wed Mar 11 06:13:12 CET 2020

On Tuesday, 10 March 2020 07:40:41 PDT Cristian Adam wrote:
> Hi,
>
> With the “GitHub issues” E-Mail thread we made sure the Issues are gone
> from the projects.
>
> What about Pull requests?
>
> For example qtbase<https://github.com/qt/qtbase/pulls> has 7 pull requests.
> Usually people point out that
 the Qt project uses a different
> collaboration method:
> https://wiki.qt.io/Qt_Contribution_Guidelines
>
> What stops us from accepting the contributions via GitHub?
>
> Is it:
>
>   1.  The CLA
>   2.  Qt Account

It is:
1. The CLA
3. The CI
4. We already have a review system, we should not have two.

You usay there's a way to have the CLA accepted in GitHub. Ok.

We ought not to have two places where code reviews happen for a specific
module. That's just inviting sync issues. And this is assuming the CI is
solved: right now, ours is the only authoritative entity that can push to our
repositories in Qt. As far as I know, this is not a supported workflow in
GitHub at all. It wasn't supported in Gerrit either before us -- we had to
hire a consulting company to write the feature for us.

That only leaves having some modules switch wholesale	from our CI and from
Gerrit to GitHub, using whatever review mechanism and CI can be obtained with
GitHub, while other modules remain with Gerrit+Coin.

Why would we do that?