[Development] GitHub Pull requests

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Sun Mar 15 03:14:02 CET 2020

On Friday, 13 March 2020 04:19:22 EST Konstantin Tokarev wrote:
> 13.03.2020, 08:55, "Thiago Macieira" <thiago.macieira at intel.com>:
> > For a complex set of needs like Qt's, you'l still need a dedicated person
> > or multiple people. And this isn't free either, despite there being a lot
> > of free CIs for open source projects: first, because it's meant to serve
> > the commercial version too and second because the free computing power is
> > likely to be insufficient for Qt's needs. We'll need to purchase
> > additional time or do Bring Your Own VM or Bring Your Own Container so we
> > can test on more configurations than the CI provides, which means
> > sysadmins are needed to keep those configurations running.
>
> Also note that it's impossible to do performance testing in the cloud, using
> self-hosted runners it is imperative for reproducibility of results.

Sure you can. Just hire a bare metal machine or a whole-machine VM. Those
things exist at AWS and GCP.

For something like $200/hr.

Note you can get a full bare metal machine for 750€/yr at Hetzner.de. But it
comes with sysadmin cost, since it's *just* the machine.

PS: Intel has a technology called RDT that is meant to allow Cloud Service
Providers to offer solutions that isolate one tenant from another's noisy
access, including cache thrashing and memory bandwidth. I don't know if the
CSPs sell fractions of a full machine but guaranteeing performance, using RDT.