[Development] Debian packaging from Git snapshots (qtsystems, qtfeedback, qtpim)

Chris Adams chris.adams at qinetic.com.au
Tue Mar 17 01:42:11 CET 2020

Hi,

On Mon, Mar 16, 2020 at 8:49 PM Mike Gabriel <
mike.gabriel at das-netzwerkteam.de> wrote:

> [...]
> >>
> >> :-(

> and
> >>
> >> Ok. That is the signal for me to package QtFeedback directly from Git.
> >> If there'll be a release sometime in the future, I'll be happy to pick
> >> that up.

> made
> >> can
> or
> and
> didn't
> >> get
> so
> that
> point
> >> in
> >>
> >> Thanks for listing recent changes and plans of the upcoming.
> >>
> >> Apologize my not-knowing (as a non-native speaker)... What do BIC and
> >> SIC stand for?
> >>

> > Binary incompatible changes / source incompatible changes.
>
> Ah, thanks!

> >> QtPIM,
> >> have
> >> done a
> candidate
> >> if
> >>
> >> I will bring this up in the next UBports dev meeting. We are currently
> >> running short an wo*man power, but I'll can at least let them know.

> >> binary
> like
> which Qt
> >>
> >> It seems that at least for QtPIM, some sort of versioning scheme would
> >> benefit the version and API/ABI tracking in Debian. Who can be asked
> >> about that? I fear that is something you might have to add to your
> >> list. Do you think that this is feasible over the next couple of weeks?
> >>

> > I am not sure who on Qt side could help answer this question.  As Lorn
> > described, these modules are not officially part of the Qt offering (any
> > more), so I don't think that The Qt Company provide any sort of
> guarantees
> > or effort with regards to packaging and versioning.  I also don't know
> how
> > such version tags could be added (i.e. do you need write access to the
> > underlying git repository, as opposed to the normal "approval / staging
> via
> > gerrit" access which I currently have, etc) unfortunately.  If there is
> > some simple way for me to add tags to the repo, I'm happy to do that
> > (defining some lightweight process for versioning, and applying tags as
> > appropriate when breaking changes are accepted into the repository, etc).
>
> Ok, so let's leave things (untagged) as they are. I do symbols
> tracking with my DEB packaging, so I should notice at least BICs (i.e.
> removed symbols).
>
> As the situation is not optimal for these projects (they are core
> components of the Ubuntu Phone) would another option be moving the
> upstream location away from qt-project.org?
>
> I am not saying that this should be the goal, I am just wondering how
> these code projects can be maintained best (from a distro maintainer's

Potentially.  The licensing of QtPIM only changed recently (in terms of
changes), and Jolla's fork of QtPIM remains LGPLv2.1, so IMO if the
upstream were to change, I think taking that version might be a sensible
option, as it might attract more contributors / maintainers from commercial
side (and developer capacity is currently the bottleneck for improvement,
IMO).
Of course, that would be an option of last resort, in my opinion.