[Development] [SPAM] How bad QList really is

Ville Voutilainen ville.voutilainen at gmail.com
Tue May 12 21:19:01 CEST 2020

On Sat, 25 Apr 2020 at 17:45, André Pönitz <apoenitz at t-online.de> wrote:
> What I see here is a general-purpose random-access container with cheaper
> insertion and deletion at front and in the middle than *vector provides for
> 61.3% of the types, augmented by a small-object optimization that kicks in
> with zero overhead for 98.5% of the actually created instances.
>
> If such a container did not exist it would need to be invented.

I wonder, to what extent those properties apply to the proposal for std::colony,
here: http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2020/p0447r10.html
std::colony doesn't have random access, but it's somewhat telling that there
are attempts to add a standard container that otherwise fills somewhat
similar sweet spot
niches (that might not be small niches) as Qt5's QList does. The
purposes and goals
are a tad different from Qt5's QList, but they certainly reveal
another perspective
according to which vectors and lists and maps don't necessarily cover
all reasonable
uses.