[Development] Utf8 as the 8bit encoding on Windows

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Tue May 12 21:27:26 CEST 2020

On Tuesday, 12 May 2020 01:07:08 PDT Lars Knoll wrote:
> > The problem is not the application's cross-platform code that uses Qt. The
> > problem is where they directly use the 8-bit API, especially the Windows
> > 8-bit API ("A" functions). Those applications may have a lot of legacy
> > code they've been carrying for decades. They may be using third-party
> > Windows-only libraries that haven't been updated to deal with multibyte
> > encodings and simply can't be updated. Since this class of errors has a
> > good chance of only showing up on a user's machine and not the
> > developer's, I remain skeptical about making it the default.
>
> Those old libraries would fail on a Japanese windows installation as well,
> wouldn’t they?

Yes, but this would be a known issue and which may not affect the majority of
the market of the application in question. Most Windows legacy encodings are
single-byte.

In any case, this is about the console output. I think we simply shouldn't
bother, it's not worth the headache it may cause, even if it's unlikely.