[Development] Untangling our platform plugins

Oswald Buddenhagen oswald.buddenhagen at gmx.de
Fri May 15 18:00:30 CEST 2020

On Fri, May 15, 2020 at 12:49:28PM +0000, Laszlo Agocs wrote:
>Agreed. The choice of which backend (be it a dynamically loaded or
>statically linked in one) to use is going to remain a runtime choice.

yes

>[...] Building on the Qt plugin system is therefore still very valuable
>here,

i don't see how that follows. physical separation makes sense when the
plugins have heavy dependencies (that aren't run-time loaded), but
that's defeated when the respective platform support is linked into the
parent library and thus pulls in the dependency anyway.

don't get me wrong, i'm all for keeping the libraries small, but using
plugins to that end seems rather pointless when 50+% or the price is
paid anyway.

>even when the plugins are static.

that way the argument makes even less sense.