[Development] Finishing the transition to the cherry-pick model

Marc Mutz marc.mutz at kdab.com
Tue May 19 12:38:18 CEST 2020

On 2020-04-17 13:21, Volker Hilsheimer wrote:
> The development and testing of the cherry-pick bot over the last month
> in a selected number of repositories [3] has given us confidence that
> things are working well.

I cannot say the same about qtbase. Cherry-picking back might be a good
idea within Qt 5, but it certainly is a PITA for picking 6-era patches
back to 5. A surprising number of mine needed adjustments, because Qt 5
still compiles under C++11 while 6 requires C++17. These adjustments
void the CI verification performed on dev, and they would've been
completely unnecessary had the change gone to Qt 5 first (as valid C++11
is also valid C++17). Splitting the patch into a fix that is C++11
compatible and a cleanup that uses C++17 is a possibility _if you're
aware you're using post C++14-features, or for that matter, post-Qt-5
features_.

The process is broken. I will not add Pick-to: headers any more.

Thanks,
Marc