[Development] Handling of Needs More Info issues in Jira

Jason McDonald macadder1 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 14:24:45 CET 2020

On Mon, 2 Nov 2020 at 23:19, Lars Knoll <lars.knoll at qt.io> wrote:

> Hi Jason,
>
> Welcome back!
>
> > On 2 Nov 2020, at 14:11, Jason McDonald <macadder1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > While reacquainting myself with the Qt Bug Tracker after a long absence,
> I noticed that there are more than 900 issues languishing in the Needs More
> Info state.  Digging a bit deeper, it appears that in mid-2018, whomever
> was shepherding Needs More Info bugs stopped doing so and since then a
> steady stream of issues have been getting stranded in that state (348 in
> 2018, 340 in 2019, and 219 so far this year).
> >
> > Way back in ancient history (2009 to 2012), I used to periodically
> review Needs More Info bugs and prompt the appropriate people to progress
> them out of that state.
> >
> > If there are no objections, I'm happy to invest a few hours per week to
> work through reviewing these bugs.  On my own, it would likely take at
> least several months to get through all of them, so any additional
> volunteers would be most welcome.
>
> I think everybody would be grateful for help on keeping the data in our
> bug tracker clean.
>
> In this concrete item however, I thought we had some tool to automatically
> close bugs that stayed in ’Need more Info’ for too long?

There may be such a tool, but if there is it presumably isn't functioning
anymore (unless it's definition of "too long" is more than two years).

My goal in reviewing Needs More Info issues would be to ensure that as many
as possible don't get closed for inactivity but instead get the information
that was requested.

Cheers,
--
Dr. Jason McDonald