[Development] Long-lived P1 issues

Allan Sandfeld Jensen kde at carewolf.com
Tue Nov 3 09:37:48 CET 2020

On Dienstag, 3. November 2020 05:34:02 CET Jason McDonald wrote:
> Some food for thought for module maintainers.....
>
> Currently, there are 1175 open P1 issues in the QTBUG project.  583 of
> those issues had that priority set more than one year ago, 342 of those had
> their priority set more than two years ago, and 175 of those more than
> three years ago.
>
> If an issue is not important enough to get attention within a year, is it
> really P1?
>
> (Clicking the ? button next to the priority field in Jira shows the
> following definition for P1: "Urgent and Important, will STOP the release
> if matched with set FixVersion field. This includes regressions from the
> last version that are not edge cases; Data loss; Build issues; All but the
> most unlikely crashes/lockups/hanging; Serious usability issues and
> embarrassing bugs & Bugs critical to a deliverable.")

But how many of those are accepted? P1 is just set on the assumption the bug
is geniune, for instance reported crashes usually get P1. But if it can't be
reproduced it might never get accepted.

Also many modules are not maintained, is it in a module with an active
maintainer of group?

I was more confused when I found P0 that had been open for 10 months. That
wasn't really a P0.

'Allan