[Development] Qt 6 co-installability with Qt 5

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Tue Nov 17 17:18:10 CET 2020

On Tuesday, 17 November 2020 07:49:14 PST Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer
wrote:
> > Why should the packages in the online installer change? They are hardly
> > ever installed into some general directory.
> Because it sets precedence. This way tools will expect the prefix on Linux.

Also because other people build application that work with both Linux
distribution packages and those provided by qt.io. Their work needs to work
with both, somehow.

> > Also, this most likely will set us back in the release process. Doing
> > large-scale renames at RC time is just asking for trouble. Let's consider
> > this in time for Qt 7.
> And then someone will push the topic again and Qt fails to "see  it"
> again, thus delayed to Qt 8.
>
> Come on Kai, please realize it is **not** a new issue. In fact I
> pushed this exact thing **two** years ago and then insisted on it
> exactly to avoid this resolution.

And we discussed this for Qt 5.0 too.

Anyway, Lars and I are trying to come up with a proposal, right now on #qt-
labs.