[Development] Qt 6 co-installability with Qt 5

Joerg Bornemann joerg.bornemann at qt.io
Tue Nov 17 21:30:53 CET 2020

On 11/17/20 6:07 PM, Thiago Macieira wrote:

> 3) there's a question of cross-compilation relating to qmake and host tools,
> which I have not followed and do not understand the current state of. Need
> input here.

The situation is as follows for the cross-building case:

You need to have a host Qt installed, including qmake.
The cross-built Qt's qmake is a wrapper script that calls the host Qt's
qmake and passes a qt.conf file, adjusting qmake's properties.
This wrapper script in the cross-built Qt is currently named "qmake" and
currently lives in $prefix/bin.

> Then there's the question of which tools we recommend be in $PATH with a
> suffix (list (b)). Please expand on this list if necessary, with a reason.
> Here's the minimum list:
>
>   qmake6		entry point for building qmake-based applications, situation
> 		similar to /usr/bin/python (see [1])

qt-cmake6
     entry point for building CMake-based Qt-applications

possibly

qt-configure-module6
     entry point for building Qt modules that are not part of the
installation

But one might argue that whoever wants to build a Qt module can call
this script from libexec.

BR,

Joerg