[Development] Qt 6 co-installability with Qt 5

Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer perezmeyer at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 00:49:44 CET 2020

On Tue, 17 Nov 2020 at 17:31, Joerg Bornemann <joerg.bornemann at qt.io> wrote:

> On 11/17/20 6:07 PM, Thiago Macieira wrote:
>
> > 3) there's a question of cross-compilation relating to qmake and host tools,
> > which I have not followed and do not understand the current state of. Need
> > input here.
>
> The situation is as follows for the cross-building case:
>
> You need to have a host Qt installed, including qmake.
> The cross-built Qt's qmake is a wrapper script that calls the host Qt's
> qmake and passes a qt.conf file, adjusting qmake's properties.
> This wrapper script in the cross-built Qt is currently named "qmake" and
> currently lives in $prefix/bin.

Sounds like $prefix/bin/qmake6 is feasible, even maybe *always* a
script that calls the host's qmake installed in $bindir except when
passed the right qt.conf file. Would that work? That would also mean
avoiding installing the real qmake in $prefix/bin and it's prefix.

By the way this is more or less how cross compiling Qt 5 apps with
Debian's multiarch was achieved: we use a generic mkspec but
automatically-generated qt.conf files.

Anyways this is a really interesting thing to consider as it might
make cross compiling easier within distributions that can co-install
the necessary stuff.

--
Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer
http://perezmeyer.com.ar/