[Development] Qt 6 co-installability with Qt 5

Tor Arne Vestbø Tor.arne.Vestbo at qt.io
Wed Nov 18 12:11:25 CET 2020

Morning,

IMHO, suffixing our binaries is a kludge. It “solves” the major version transition, but not any of the other use cases such as minor version upgrades, different builds of the same Qt version, etc.

Qt Creator already provides a way to manage and switch Qt versions: https://doc.qt.io/qtcreator/creator-project-qmake.html

What we need is a command line tool for doing the same. That’s how other project solve things too (nvm, rvm, pyenv, etc). And we already have a tool for that, qtchooser. If maintenance of that is an issue, then let’s solve that.

Why is that not an acceptable solution for distros?

Tor Arne