[Development] Qt 6 co-installability with Qt 5

Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer perezmeyer at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 13:38:03 CET 2020

Hi Tor!

On Wed, 18 Nov 2020 at 08:13, Tor Arne Vestbø <Tor.arne.Vestbo at qt.io> wrote:

> Morning,
>
> IMHO, suffixing our binaries is a kludge. It “solves” the major version transition, but not any of the other use cases such as minor version upgrades, different builds of the same Qt version, etc.

It's only about solving the major version, ie, the end-users version
provided by distributions. The cases you mention are mostly
developer-oriented.

> Qt Creator already provides a way to manage and switch Qt versions: https://doc.qt.io/qtcreator/creator-project-qmake.html

Not everyone uses Creator.

> What we need is a command line tool for doing the same. That’s how other project solve things too (nvm, rvm, pyenv, etc). And we already have a tool for that, qtchooser. If maintenance of that is an issue, then let’s solve that.
>
> Why is that not an acceptable solution for distros?

Because it breaks things:
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?src=qtchooser and form
that list specially
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=712264 which is a
per-design bug, ie, it can't be solved.

That doesn't means developers can still use it though.

--
Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer
http://perezmeyer.com.ar/