[Development] Qt 6 co-installability with Qt 5

Tor Arne Vestbø Tor.arne.Vestbo at qt.io
Wed Nov 18 15:04:16 CET 2020

On 18 Nov 2020, at 14:21, Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer <perezmeyer at gmail.com<mailto:perezmeyer at gmail.com>> wrote:

On Wed, 18 Nov 2020 at 10:16, Tor Arne Vestbø <Tor.arne.Vestbo at qt.io<mailto:Tor.arne.Vestbo at qt.io>> wrote:

On 18 Nov 2020, at 14:01, Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer <perezmeyer at gmail.com<mailto:perezmeyer at gmail.com>> wrote:

On Wed, 18 Nov 2020 at 09:58, Tor Arne Vestbø <Tor.arne.Vestbo at qt.io<mailto:Tor.arne.Vestbo at qt.io>> wrote:
[snip]
Let’s clarify this, so we’re talking about the same thing:

1. Application end-users
2. Application developers using Qt
3. Qt developers

Let me expand it:

1. Application end-users
2.1. Application developers using Qt as provided by distro.
2.2. Application developers using more than one Qt major/minor version.
3. Qt developers.

#3 develops Qt for use by #2 to produce applications for #1

When you are talking about end users, which one of these do you refer to?

1 and 2.1.

The application end user (#1) shouldn’t need access to any of Qt’s binaries AFAIK. What’s there for us to fix for them?

qdbus can be called by an app ran by an end-user.

That sounds like a deployment issue. If the app needs qdbus, it needs to bundle it, or make sure it knows the full path to it (but that sounds like a fragile thing to rely on). Besides, shouldn’t an app using dbus use https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qtdbus-index.html and not an external binary?

So (#1) is mostly (fully?) cleared, then we still have (#2.1).

Okey, good to get #1 out of the way first. Thanks!

Tor Arne