[Development] QThread::create mandatory in Qt 6?

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Wed Nov 18 17:26:47 CET 2020

On Tuesday, 17 November 2020 23:34:59 PST Oliver Wolff wrote:
> > clang-MSVC on the other hand is useful as it means a better compiler
> > frontend (clang) using a better standard library on Windows (msvc).
>
> As far as I know, people *do* want an open alternative that does not
> involve Microsoft software. That's where mingw comes into play. As we
> cannot support an unlimited amount of configurations, it looks like we
> will go the clang-mingw route instead of clang-msvc.

Clang-MSVC is not an open alternative without MS software. It's still using MS
software. It's just a better compiler than MS's.

Clang-mingw and GCC-mingw are open alternatives. Both have very good
compilers. I don't know whether either has already solved the thread_local
problem -- if any of them have, I'd strongly recommend we switch to that and
ban the other (note: the issue is libgcc and libcompiler-rt, not the compilers
themselves).