[Development] QThread::create mandatory in Qt 6?

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Thu Nov 19 02:22:13 CET 2020

Oliver Wolff wrote:
> As far as I know, people *do* want an open alternative that does not
> involve Microsoft software. That's where mingw comes into play. As we
> cannot support an unlimited amount of configurations, it looks like we
> will go the clang-mingw route instead of clang-msvc.

MinGW is definitely the nicest compiler for Windows, also because it
supports not only native, but also cross compilation.

The main issue is that QtWebEngine does not compile with MinGW because
Google refuses to support it for Chromium (and Qt does not want to carry
such a patch in Qt either).

(I guess it could theoretically be patched downstream, just as FreeBSD
support is added by downstream FreeBSD patches, but to my knowledge, so far,
nobody has done that work for MinGW, i.e., I have not yet seen a single
QtWebEngine binary built with MinGW nor a working patch that would produce
one.)

        Kevin Kofler