[Development] Qt 6 co-installability with Qt 5

Kai Pastor, DG0YT dg0yt at mailbox.org
Thu Nov 19 08:27:01 CET 2020

Am 19.11.20 um 08:20 schrieb Kai Köhne:
>> Am 18.11.20 um 15:50 schrieb Kai Köhne:
>>> FYI, we've been taking assistant out of Qt 6.0.
>>> https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-86746 . It's not depending on
>>> any particular Qt version, so my suggestion is to resurrect it (if
>>> there's enough demand) outside of qt5.git.
>> Could you please clarify: Can building Qt Asistant be enabled by a
>> configuration option? Is it still build as part of CI?
> Currently not. I think it should be completely removed from qttools - disabling the build was just the quickest way for the 6.0 release.

I wouldn't mind if Assistant would actually be moved to a different
repository. But so far, it is only a suggestion.

>> Now with all Qt help links changed to the online version, how is Qt
>> Assistant/QTextBrowser limiting Qt's documentation at all, justifying its
>> removal from the build (so late in the Qt 6 release process)?
> The reason why we removed Qt Assistant in the beta phase is that I don't think it should be part of Qt 6.

Do you want to remove it from "Qt 6", from "Qt 6.0", or from "Qt 6.0.0"?
There has been no deprecation of this Qt feature AFAIK.

If you want to remove it from "Qt 6", then there is no need for CI.

Regards,
Kai