[Development] Qt Assistant (was: RE: Qt 6 co-installability with Qt 5)

Kai Köhne Kai.Koehne at qt.io
Thu Nov 19 09:15:34 CET 2020

Yes, because the priority Is currently to get Qt 6.0 out.

> >> Now with all Qt help links changed to the online version, how is Qt
> >> Assistant/QTextBrowser limiting Qt's documentation at all, justifying
> >> its removal from the build (so late in the Qt 6 release process)?
> > The reason why we removed Qt Assistant in the beta phase is that I don't
> think it should be part of Qt 6.
>
> Do you want to remove it from "Qt 6", from "Qt 6.0", or from "Qt 6.0.0"?

For Qt 6. I just don't see a good reason that Qt Assistant should be shipped and built as part of the Qt libraries.

> There has been no deprecation of this Qt feature AFAIK.

Alright, I see now that we should probably have discussed this on this mailing list beforehand, my fault.

Still, I think that removing of Qt Assistant in Qt 6.0 is only a 'blocker' for the developers that ship Qt Assistant binaries as a help viewer for their own content. If you are one of them, please speak up at https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-88406 , so we can prioritize accordingly.

For users that use Qt Assistant to browse Qt documentation, it's a mere inconvenience, with multiple alternatives available.

Regards

Kai

PS: I'll probably start a separate discussion about Qt Linguist soon (but only after Qt 6.0 is out). The same reasoning applies there, just that Qt Linguist shares code with lupdate and the other command line tools, so it wasn't that easy to remove for now.