[Development] QThread::create mandatory in Qt 6?

Oliver Wolff oliver.wolff at qt.io
Fri Nov 20 09:09:46 CET 2020

Hi,

On 18/11/2020 21:36, Sérgio Martins wrote:
> On 2020-11-18 07:34, Oliver Wolff wrote:
>> Hi

>>> Probably the prebuilt toolchain Tony is using (WinLibs) has an old
>>> standard library.
>>> The problem is not specific to Clang perse.
>>>

>>> But why do we want clang-MinGW to begin with ? MinGW is niche as it
>>> is. I don't see anyone wanting this combo.
>>>
>>> clang-MSVC on the other hand is useful as it means a better compiler
>>> frontend (clang) using a better standard library on Windows (msvc).
>>
>> As far as I know, people *do* want an open alternative that does not
>> involve Microsoft software. That's where mingw comes into play.
>
> I agree we want MinGW, but we already have it in the CI (gcc-mingw).
> clang-mingw won't add much value, as it overlaps a lot with the existing
> gcc-mingw.
>
> clang-cl.exe however has a bigger delta over cl.exe.

The question is not about having one more supported Windows
configuration. We do not have the resources to add more and more
configurations to support, so it's more a "replace mingw for Windows
with something else" situation. As there seems to be a need for an open
alternative, it looks like we cannot/should not go the clang-cl way, but
clang-mingw if we replace mingw with a clang toolchain.