[Development] Building additional components with Conan for Qt 6

Tuukka Turunen tuukka.turunen at qt.io
Thu Oct 1 15:50:27 CEST 2020

Hi Richard,

Like Iikka wrote the primary plan is to leverage package manager to make it easier to work with additional components. We now have two Qt add-ons (Qt Network Authorization and Qt Image Formats) to test with. Our thinking is that the Qt installer is still the way to get the baseline Qt, but we aim to provide additional items via package manager.

We are still in the early steps and things like integration to tooling is something that we need to work on. There are also many items that we do not yet know what works the best, and we want to develop this further to reach a good end user experience also when it comes to the tooling, discovery of additional libraries etc.

The idea is that the additional libraries available via the package manager are available in source code and built locally. The pre-built binaries continue to be delivered via the Qt installer. Our intention is to store the recipes into the component source repo root, but these are not in-place yet.

Yours,

	Tuukka