[Development] Building additional components with Conan for Qt 6

Iikka Eklund iikka.eklund at qt.io
Fri Oct 2 13:47:40 CEST 2020

Hi Konstantin, all,

>>  thanks for the heads up. I have some further questions:
>>
>>  1. Will Conan be used to manage dependencies of Qt as well?
>>
>> If this is the plan, note that there is infrastructure [1] for using Conan in provisioning images,
>> with verification of downloaded file checksums and build reproducibility for each qt5 commit [2].

Regarding Qt CI @Toni Saario<mailto:toni.saario at qt.io> is the best one to answer on this, though I haven't heard
if there are plans to use Conan more extensively by CI/provisioning at this point?

What comes to add-ons (https://doc-snapshots.qt.io/qt6-dev/qtmodules.html#qt-add-ons) as mentioned
earlier the idea is to release add-ons as src packages accompanied with conanfile.py i.e. the build recipe.
If the add-on depends on 3rd party libraries which are available e.g. in conan-center the recipe could
naturally utilize packages from there (openssl, zlib, etc.).

>     2. How will the recipes be managed and where on code.qt.io can I find them?

The recipes of the first two add-ons are not part of the source repositories yet, probably should be.
Though there are some drawbacks in keeping the recipes and sources in the same repo
(some related discussion https://github.com/conan-io/conan/issues/4734).

Currently the recipes are part of an internal packaging repository but the current recipes can be found from the src
installation directory: "6.0.0/Src/qtnetworkauth/conanfile.py" after you have installed an add-on package.

Iikka Eklund
Senior Software Engineer

iikka.eklund at qt.io
http://qt.io<http://qt.io/>

________________________________
>>  thanks for the heads up. I have some further questions:
>>
>>  1. Will Conan be used to manage dependencies of Qt as well?
>
> If this is the plan, note that there is infrastructure [1] for using Conan in provisioning images,
> with verification of downloaded file checksums and build reproducibility for each qt5 commit [2].
>
> If you are interested in details we could discuss them in depth in IRC.
>
> [1] https://code.qt.io/cgit/qt/qt5.git/tree/coin/provisioning/common/windows/conan.ps1
> [2] requires https://codereview.qt-project.org/c/qt/qt5/+/313930 to handle situations when the same package version is rebuilt without version bump

Iikka, any comments?

--