[Development] QVariant comparison in Qt6

Lars Knoll lars.knoll at qt.io
Fri Sep 18 13:25:45 CEST 2020

> On 18 Sep 2020, at 11:23, Albert Astals Cid via Development <development at qt-project.org> wrote:
>
> El divendres, 18 de setembre de 2020, a les 11:00:23 CEST, André Somers va
> escriure:
>> On 18-09-2020 09:12, Albert Astals Cid via Development wrote:
>>> El divendres, 18 de setembre de 2020, a les 2:54:53 CEST, Thiago Macieira
>>> va>
>>> escriure:

>>> But i don't what data someone else put it in a QVariant.
>>>
>>> The fact that QAbstractItemModelPrivate::isVariantLessThan exists should
>>> be
>>> proof enough that you can't expect my class to know what someone else put
>>> inside a QVariant, i mean that's basically the defining feature of
>>> QVariant "it can hold random things for you".
>>>
>>>  Is the official Qt position that we should all "copy&paste"
>>>
>>> QAbstractItemModelPrivate::isVariantLessThan into our item model classes
>>> that need sorting?
>>
>> How often do you really have items of different QVariant types in a
>> single column and and role in a model?
>
> Probably not often, but that means adding new API to classes forcing users of
> those classes to specify either a single type for each role/column (so the
> comparison can be done internally in the class) or a comparer function for
> each role/column and offloading the comparison back to the user, makes things a
> bit annoying.
>

>> From what I understand, in Qt 6 you can still compare QVariants if they
>> contain the same type - be that a user type or not - for both equality
>> and lessThan provided the type in QVariant supports such comparisons. Right?
>
> There's no lessThan in Qt6 for QVariant, so no, you can't do that [unless you
> unbox the data from the QVariant, but then you're not comparing QVariants
> anymore :)].

I’m not really in favour of adding an operator<() to QVariant again, as it would need to provide some decent ordering, and that would probably cause conflicts with operator=() that does somewhat loose comparisons for numeric types.

But we could provide a compare() method similar to QMetaType. I don’t think we can provide total ordering here as some types stored in a QVariant do not provide comparison operators, but we could basically provide the same as QMetaType:

std::optional<int> QVariant::compare(const QVariant &other);

Would that be good enough?

Cheers,
Lars