[Development] State of "binary JSON" in 5.15+?

Stottlemyer, Brett (B.S.) bstottle at ford.com
Thu Apr 15 22:49:30 CEST 2021

On 4/15/21, 3:45 PM, "Development on behalf of Elvis Stansvik" <development-bounces at qt-project.org on behalf of elvstone at gmail.com> wrote:
    With the risk of muddling things even more, but the way I understood

    > Think geographic data, where I can prefetch at low-priority, and load/process data on-demand as location changes.

    was that his use case was:

    1. In the background, proactively fetch some JSON that might be needed
    soon, parse it and store it as "binary JSON".
    2. When the time comes and the data is needed, it can be loaded fast
    from disk with fromBinaryJson.

    And with 5.14, step (2) was faster than loading from JSON text due to
    the mmapping, but in 5.15 it is slower (due to the change in change in
    in-memory format).

    It's quite possible I've misunderstood though.

    Elvis

No, your description is correct.  Thanks for helping to clarify.

Does this help Thiago?  I'm not using JSON as an input to sending a QString or
QByteArray over the wire, I want to read a file from disk (quickly) and find
or extract specific elements from the document.

Thanks,
Brett