[Development] Qt 6.1.0 release note

Giuseppe D'Angelo giuseppe.dangelo at kdab.com
Tue Apr 27 16:54:08 CEST 2021

Hi,

On 27/04/2021 11:53, Jani Heikkinen wrote:

> Initial release note for Qt 6.1.0 here:https://code.qt.io/cgit/qt/qtreleasenotes.git/tree/qt/6.1.0/release-note.txt

I must say, I don't quite like the format used here.

While having the commit SHA might be useful if someone wants to look up
the commit corresponding to each changelog entry, there's a few things
that don't quite sound OK to me.

0) No 72 columns wrapping. There, I said it.

1) Quoting the commit message of a given change is hardly useful. That's
why we mandate a [ChangeLog] entry, after all; commit messages must fit
in 72 columns, so they'll use a bunch of shortcuts that shouldn't be
read as-is by end users:

> 427da06414 QRE: discourage users from assuming that QRE stores the subject > 5a0e5521e4 QVectorND: make some constructors explicit
> 86729df9d4 QTextHtmlParserNode: Limit colspan to avoid segfault

Best case scenario, they just repeat what's much better explained by the
ChangeLog message. So why adding the commit message at all?

3) The messages are grouped by submodule. But submodules are not
relevant for end-users, end of story. Why there isn't a grouping per Qt
module instead? We force people to add that to ChangeLogs, only to throw
away that information?

3a) What about "meta" changes, like the ones we list under [Important
Behavior Changes], or [Third-Party code] or whatever? Now they're thrown
into the mix, so they don't stand out as things to watch for. I can
hardly imagine that I need to dig into the middle of [qtdeclarative]
only to find a behavioral change in the QML language.

4) Also why not grouping by class? If now I want to find all the changes
to QString, I have to read the entire [qtbase] thing. Again this is
information present in the [ChangeLog]s that is getting binned.

The listing of the Fixes is also questionable as well. Why not using
JIRA's bug description, rather than the commit description? At least
*that* could give better information. Is it really necessary repeating
"fixes" a thousand times?

> Please review it and do needed modifications as a new change(s) in the release note repository:https://codereview.qt-project.org/admin/repos/qt/qtreleasenotes

I don't see the changes to QList/QVector/QString/QByteArray behavior
that have just landed, for one.

> Target is to release Qt 6.1.0 Thu 6th May and so on it would be good to have needed updates in before that.

So not even a RC2 after, indeed, changing the behavior of the top X most
used classes in Qt? (Certainly of the most used one.) Oh well, I won't
repeat my (unanswered) questions and remarks from QTBUG-91360.

My 2 c,
KDAB - The Qt, C++ and OpenGL Experts