[Development] Qt 6.1.0 release note

Paul Wicking Paul.Wicking at qt.io
Wed Apr 28 11:37:55 CEST 2021

On 4/28/21 11:11 AM, Jani Heikkinen wrote:
> Hi!
>
> And thanks for your feedback! Some comments below.

Yes, it is needed. It's an ergonomics issue that has seen a rather
substantial amount of research. The exact width is still a matter of
dispute, but the general concern is about reducing the need for eye (or
worse, head) movement on behalf of the reader.

>> 1) Quoting the commit message of a given change is hardly useful. That's why
>> we mandate a [ChangeLog] entry, after all; commit messages must fit in 72
>> columns, so they'll use a bunch of shortcuts that shouldn't be read as-is by
>> end users:
>>> 427da06414 QRE: discourage users from assuming that QRE stores the
>>> subject > 5a0e5521e4 QVectorND: make some constructors explicit
>>> 86729df9d4 QTextHtmlParserNode: Limit colspan to avoid segfault
>>
>> Best case scenario, they just repeat what's much better explained by the
>> ChangeLog message. So why adding the commit message at all?
>
> Well, there is other opinions as well. With commit sha and commit message reader will be easy to check the change & get more information if needed. Ok, maybe commit message doesn't help that much but on the other hand it doesn't harm either...

This feedback is not unique, see e.g. the comment section at
https://www.qt.io/blog/commercial-lts-qt-5.15.3-released.

>> 3) The messages are grouped by submodule. But submodules are not
>> relevant for end-users, end of story. Why there isn't a grouping per Qt
>> module instead? We force people to add that to ChangeLogs, only to throw
>> away that information?
>>
>> 3a) What about "meta" changes, like the ones we list under [Important
>> Behavior Changes], or [Third-Party code] or whatever? Now they're thrown
>> into the mix, so they don't stand out as things to watch for. I can hardly
>> imagine that I need to dig into the middle of [qtdeclarative] only to find a
>> behavioral change in the QML language.
>
> It depends. Grouping based submodule makes it clear for the user in which repo the change is. User can't checkout the qt module but the submodule and there changes are. But I agree it could be useful to parse also tags after that [ChangeLog] tag & group entries based on that under the submodule. But to be honest those [ChangeLog] entries varies so much that it is really hard to produce clear grouping & information based on that; sometimes there is only [ChangeLog] tag, next tag after it isn't a qt module but something else etc. So producing a note which doesn't necessarily need an manual formatting isn't that straightforward (we have seen that in the past with those old changes files).

The end user might not care at all about which repository it is in (why
then would they care about the installer?), but they certainly do care
about which modules are involved. Furthermore, I don't think ChangeLog
entries being of poor quality is a strong argument for coming up with
something that is possibly worse. Rather, it exposes an issue that we
can address through this very mailing list.

//! Paul