[Development] Qt 6.1.0 release note: let's use Markdown (again!)

Shawn Rutledge Shawn.Rutledge at qt.io
Wed Apr 28 19:11:00 CEST 2021

On 2021 Apr 28, at 14:25, Jani Heikkinen <jani.heikkinen at qt.io<mailto:jani.heikkinen at qt.io>> wrote:

Hi Shawn,

First of all: sorry about getting you feel your efforts wasn't appreciated! I understand why you feel so but trust me, that hasn't been the case: We appreciate your help & your opinions; it is just that we are just first steps with this new release note system and we all know it isn't even near a good one. But I think the system is much better than the old changes file one because this way we can separate release package creation from release note creation and so on make releasing a bit easier.

We definitely don't want it to be a mess so let's try to improve it. Something can most probably be done for Qt 6.1.0 release note and something then for coming releases. And we definitely need your help for that.

Thanks, and sorry if it seems like I’m making too much of a fuss about this.

It has been decided (proposed in ML and no objections: https://lists.qt-project.org/pipermail/development/2020-December/040792.html) to start using this new system and we have now that new script to generate it.

Ah yeah, I saw that one after the fact, but was on vacation then.

Of course we can switch current script to your script when it supports this new system (one combined release note file in its own repository). But let's accept the fact that we need to get release(s) out on schedule so most of the improvements will affect to future releases.

And the target has to be no manual edits for the release note is needed. Of course those can be done but we need to be able to releases without waiting missing manual input. It has been also planned to include these release notes in installer as its own release note node but it hasn't been done yet. And same is with that markdown file format with sophisticated web UI to show those; I agree that should be the goal but unfortunately there hasn't been time to implement that yet.

OK.  I agree that it will save time if we don’t have to hand-edit the result anymore.