[Development] Qt 6.1.0 release note: let's use Markdown (again!)

Shawn Rutledge Shawn.Rutledge at qt.io
Wed Apr 28 19:38:54 CEST 2021

> On 2021 Apr 28, at 14:38, Giuseppe D'Angelo via Development <development at qt-project.org> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Il 28/04/21 13:00, Shawn Rutledge ha scritto:
>> What I was proposing last year on the mailing list is: let’s format the changelog in markdown, with proper links for the bugs: that is, the link text can just be QTBUG-xxxxx and markdown allows putting the whole URL for the link at the bottom, out of the way.
>
> Just for clarification: are you suggesting to keep the [ChangeLog] in the commit messages as it is today, but modify the script that generates the final changelogs to output MarkDown? Or to actually change the commit messages and put MarkDown in there?

I think the convention can stay as-is, so the script can hopefully pull out the categorization from the bracketed strings at the beginning, and if the text after those is plain text that’s fine... but if someone uses *emphasis* or something like that, it could be preserved that way in the output if we don’t make any effort to strip those, and then it’s markdown right?  A naive word-wrapping algorithm wouldn’t care either.  Markdown is basically a standardization of old plaintext conventions from email (and probably from typewriter conventions before that), so it tends to happen naturally without necessarily thinking “oh I’m going to write markdown now” and consulting the specification.  I’ve seen commit messages with valid bullet lists sometimes.  So if we say that markdown is ok in git commit messages, including changelog stanzas, probably there’s no harm?  And if we don’t say it, it tends to happen anyway.