[Development] Qt 6.0.x releasing and Qt 6.0.x changes files

Shawn Rutledge Shawn.Rutledge at qt.io
Mon Feb 1 14:26:10 CET 2021

On 2020 Dec 1, at 10:00, Jani Heikkinen <jani.heikkinen at qt.io<mailto:jani.heikkinen at qt.io>> wrote:

Hi all,

Qt 6.0.0 should be out really soon and it is time to start planning upcoming patch level releases for the Qt 6.0 series. Plan is to release quick updates for the Qt 6.0 pretty much similarly than we did in the beta phase. It means there should be a new Qt 6.0.x patch release once / 2-3 weeks. That way we could get regular updates to the users & releasing should be quite easy due to the limited set of changes. We could even do these patch releases directly from the '6.0' branch if we want...

But how to create changes files for the modules with this process? If we need to freeze the release content, generate initial changes files, finalize those, review, integrate, etc this new process won't work; it just takes a too long time to complete. So we need to get those changes files in the packages automatically or just stop updating those in the git and attach those in the release some other way.

Would it be ok to add a general Qt 6.0.x changes file in each module (something like this: https://codereview.qt-project.org/c/qt/qtbase/+/324440 ) and also add a pure change list in the wiki? That would be a lightweight process & makes regular, quick patch level releases possible.

Thoughts?

As discussed previously, I’d prefer that we end up with a nice markdown-formatted file instead of this ad-hoc oddly-wrapped text format that we see in https://code.qt.io/cgit/qt/qtreleasenotes.git/tree/qt/6.0.1/release-note.txt.  I planned to keep working on the createchangelog script to generate it, too, but nobody asked whether I had gotten back to that.  Which script did you use this time?

If it’s fully automated and we no longer care about fixing grammar and making it read like a nice user-facing list of things “we now” do, though, it will certainly spare me a couple of hours manually editing changelogs for each release.