[Development] Qt 6.1 Feature Freeze is in effect now

Edward Welbourne edward.welbourne at qt.io
Wed Feb 3 11:42:40 CET 2021

On 3 Feb 2021, at 09:31, Joerg Bornemann <Joerg.Bornemann at qt.io> wrote:
>> Let's say I have a change for qtbase's dev branch that is supposed to
>> be cherry-picked to 6.1. What happens if this change hits qtbase
>> between those two points in time:
>>
>> - final dependency update sha1s are fixed, full update round started
>> - 6.1 branch is created
>>
>> The change in question cannot have the Pick-to: 6.1 footer, because
>> the branch does not exist. How can I avoid to forget cherry-picking
>> that change, once 6.1 is in place?

Volker Hilsheimer (3 February 2021 11:18) replied:
> Yes, that’s a risk with cherry-pick mode.
>
> Use whatever tool you use to avoid that you forget to buy milk, and do
> a manual cherry-pick if your change fell into that (hopefully short)
> window.

A fairly straightforward solution would be to downgrade the relevant
'bot's complaint against "this branch does not exist", at least when the
branch name matches some "plausible imminent branch-name" heuristic, to a
warning rather than a -2.

> Jani, perhaps it would be useful to tag the commit at which branches
> start? That would allow us to search for commits that fall into that
> window (although perhaps there’s some git wizardry for that).

git merge-base dev $newbranch

	Eddy.