[Development] Qt 6 co-installability with Qt 5

Ville Voutilainen ville.voutilainen at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 20:51:34 CET 2021

On Tue, 16 Feb 2021 at 17:08, André Pönitz <apoenitz at t-online.de> wrote:
> I agree that update-alternatives is Just Wrong for something that
> should effectively be the user's decision (and not even a decision
> for all of the user's projects but something that needs to be done
> case-by-case).
> On the other hand I don't quite understand all the fuzz about the
> Correct Global Name. When I as a user am not happy with someone's
> decision on how to name a binary or if a distribution acts funnily or if
> I am too lazy to change my muscle memory I set up a shell alias to do
> what I want.

Well, that sort of thing works great as a local solution, but consider
reused scripts,
tools, etc. recipes, if you take one of those and run it in your
environment, will it do the
right thing, the expected thing? Will it do the expected thing if you
have both qt 5 and
qt 6 on your system? Will it do the expected thing if you have just
one of them? Will
it do the expected thing if you have just one, and then switch to the other?

Therein lies the reason for the fuzz and fuss about the correct global name.

More information about the Development mailing list