[Development] Qt 6 co-installability with Qt 5

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Wed Feb 17 23:31:12 CET 2021

On Wednesday, 17 February 2021 04:32:43 PST Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez
Meyer wrote:
> > Obviously not with enough fervor to convince people and in the case of
> > Qt6 muuuuch too late in the release process.
>
> In fact the most difficult people to convince are within tqtc. And no, we
> have been asking for this change, specifically for qt6, since at very least
> 2019. And they where no small threads.

It was asked multiple times for Qt 5 and Qt 6 (there was no open governance
for Qt 4, so there was no way to have the discussion then). For Qt 5, we
thought we had a good solution with qtchooser, but it turns out that it isn't.
The one for Qt 6 was raised early in the process, but no one acted. So it was
raised again, before the release, and we agreed on what needed to be done, but
it wouldn't gate the 6.0 release if it didn't get done.

It gates 6.1.