[Development] The sorry state of the Qt6 cross compile experience

Bogdan Vatra bogdan.vatra at kdab.com
Wed Feb 24 08:47:47 CET 2021

Hi,

> You have some valid complaints, but:
>
> BogDan Vatra via Development wrote:
> > - the cross build installation is broken, instead to copy the tools from
> > the QT_HOST_TOOLS folder,  it creates some scripts that has hardcoded
> > paths to QT_HOST_TOOLS which runs the scripts from QT_HOST_TOOLS folder.
> > Of course this makes the installation unusable on another computer. Even
> > the "lib/cmake/Qt6/ qt.toolchain.cmake" contains hardcoded paths...
>
> In distribution packaging, that is exactly what we want: in the packaged
> cross Qt, use the known paths to our packaged host Qt instead of guessing
> them at runtime (and often guessing wrong).

  Most of the people out there are using yocto, buildroot to create a nice
SDKs with all the things they need  which will share with their collages, of
course having hardcoded paths will break these SDKs. Not even with conan will
not work for the same reason... Only a fraction (I'm one of them) will use
debian for linux cross compiling. For Android cross compiling I believe that
almost nobody is using distribution Qt packages...

Cheers,
BogDan