[Development] The sorry state of the Qt6 cross compile experience

Bogdan Vatra bogdan.vatra at kdab.com
Wed Feb 24 12:56:47 CET 2021

Hi,
> On 2/24/21 9:30 AM, Bogdan Vatra wrote:
> > Do you still believe that I'm one of the few affected by this?
> > Don't you think that everyone who's using cross compiling is affected?
>
> I have seen cross-compiling folks using the cross-platform abilities of
> Qt to prototype stuff on desktop. The assumption is: most people want to
> have a full desktop Qt anyways.
>
> You're especially affected because of your focus on Android.
> That's all I'm saying.

Let me give you another non-android example:
You want to create a standalone SDK for linux armhf using yocto. You'll
generate the SDK with everything including Qt for host and for target, the sdk
is a huge auto extract archive which can be shared with everyone. Can this
archive contain only the Qt for the target? Nope because there is no way to
know if and where the Qt for host is installed on everyone computers, you also
need to know where the Qt for host it is in order to fix the hardcoded paths.

Now, let's say you want to create another standalone SDK for arm64. When
you'll generate the new SDK, it will contain another Qt for host and for
target.

As you said, most of us will also have a full desktop Qt, it means in this
case you'll endup with 3 identical Qt for you host, unless I'm missing
something and you don't really need a host Qt build for cross compiling ...
otherwise is even worse as android shares a single copy of Qt for host.

> > It's a good thing when is done right, check the numbers above. Right now
> > is
> > broken, there is no way to install only the host tools. As long as the bug
> > report has a P2 priority, I'll not hold my breath to see it fixed any time
> > soon, for sure not in 6.1 or in 6.2....
>
> You'll be delighted to learn that the priority is at P3.
> You could put energy into explaining why this is especially important to
> you and many others. But please, it's your call to continue rambling on
> aimlessly instead.

This is what I was trying to do, but it seems I failed big time ...

Anyway, it seems I'm the only one who's bothered by this issues, so, I'll stop
complaining.

Yours,
BogDan.