[Development] The sorry state of the Qt6 cross compile experience

Joerg Bornemann joerg.bornemann at qt.io
Wed Feb 24 16:25:23 CET 2021

On 2/24/21 12:56 PM, Bogdan Vatra wrote:

> Let me give you another non-android example:
> You want to create a standalone SDK for linux armhf using yocto. You'll
> generate the SDK with everything including Qt for host and for target, the sdk
> is a huge auto extract archive which can be shared with everyone. Can this
> archive contain only the Qt for the target? Nope because there is no way to
> know if and where the Qt for host is installed on everyone computers, you also
> need to know where the Qt for host it is in order to fix the hardcoded paths.

Thanks. That's looks indeed like a good example that affects more people
than just a handful of Qt devs. Will add a note to the report and adjust
the prio.

The alternative approach for this case is to enable QT_BUILD_WITH_TOOLS
for the yocto build and rely on binfmt_misc to transparently execute arm
binaries.

Cheers,

Joerg