[Development] Commercial-only LTS phase starts: Closing the 5.15 branch(es) on 5th January

Volker Hilsheimer volker.hilsheimer at qt.io
Mon Jan 4 15:44:41 CET 2021

> On 4 Jan 2021, at 15:33, Bernhard Lindner <private at bernhard-lindner.de> wrote:
>

>> yeah, 6.0 is a joke given that you intend to break binary
>> compat in 6.1 - that's the wisdom of linking r&d's bonus payments to
>> release dates even for major versions
>
> Thank you for saying what no one else dared to say.

I’m not aware of a decision to break binary compatibility in Qt 6.1. The - so far - last email to the respective discussion thread is

https://lists.qt-project.org/pipermail/development/2020-December/040763.html

and neither that nor any of the previous emails are conclusively stating that we do or don’t break BC.

The topic in this particular thread is controversial enough as it is, let’s stick to the facts :)

Cheers,
Volker