[Development] Commercial-only LTS phase starts: Closing the 5.15 branch(es) on 5th January

Tomas Konir tomas.konir at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 19:20:38 CET 2021

st 6. 1. 2021 v 19:10 odesílatel Adam Light <aclight at gmail.com> napsal:

> On Wed, Jan 6, 2021 at 3:15 AM Volker Hilsheimer <volker.hilsheimer at qt.io>
> wrote:
>

>> What can do better to avoid such regressions from making it into a
>> release, or preferably into the code, in the first place? Nobody, not even
>> the Qt Company management :P *wants* to release crappy quality on time.
>>

> For major version releases, many of the regressions are intentional. For
> example, going from Qt 4.8 -> 5, it was not until Qt 5.4 or 5.5 that we
> could even compile our application on macOS and Windows without disabling
> chunks of code due to missing features. Then we had to deal with all of the
> subtle changes in how events were handled, some of which caused major
> problems in our application. We finally shipped with Qt 5.6. It seems that
> the Qt 6 cycle is starting out in a similar fashion, as Qt 6 won't be
> feature complete until at least 6.2, so it's unlikely we will even think of
> trying Qt 6 until then. Since we are still using 5.12 due to the lack of
> LGPL LTS releases, if and when we ultimately move to Qt 6 there will be 2+
> years of changes that may cause problems with our application. That's on
> top of any intentional deprecations and changes and figuring out how to get
> our application to build with cmake (if that's necessary).
>
> For minor versions, I think most of the regressions are unintentional, but
> it is not uncommon that we report a regression and it is simply ignored or
> acknowledged but not fixed. Sometimes we can work around the regression in
> our own code or by patching Qt ourselves.
>
> Here are some lists of issues, most of which we created, that may be
> helpful to you in determining where the process broke down.
>
> Regressions that affected some version of 5.12 which have been fixed in
> 5.12:
> https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-77281
> https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-77255
> https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-74559
> https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-75825
>
> https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-37804 is a regression from Qt
> 4.8->5 that wasn't fixed until 5.15, and is still not fixed in 5.12 (as far
> as I know). It sat as a P2 or P1 for over 6 years.
>
> Regressions in 5.12 that have not yet been fixed:
> https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-72212 (5.9->5.12, still open)
> https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-74530 (5.12.0->5.12.1, still open)
> https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-89010 (5.12.9->5.12.10 I believe,
> this causes a crash in our own fuzzing tests, so it's not a big deal but
> unfortunate to see in a LTS and the change in behavior is undocumented)
> https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-59805 (this is due to a macOS 10.11
> change but the Qt change needed to fix the regression and make captions
> work as documented with native file dialogs is simple and documented in the
> report)
> https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-40895 (4.8->5.x regression (mac
> [...]
And you forgot to mention the most important thing, that there will never
be 5.x QT usable on M1 macs.
It means, that at least one year (depending, when qt-6 will be
feature complete),
every open source project based on QT will run on an M1 mac in emulation
only (which does not work 100% perfectly).

Tom

--
Tomas Konir
Czech Republic