[Development] Qt6 repo

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Wed Jan 13 23:46:06 CET 2021

On Wednesday, 13 January 2021 13:58:42 PST André Pönitz wrote:
> > Any *product* is built with released versions of Qt, which means you
> > must have exactly the same releases of each module. No other
> > combination is supported.
>
> I am not asking for *support*. I am asking how to find a recent working
> combination of Qt modules that I need for porting some code base to
> Qt 6. Don't tell me to use 6.0 nor to wait for some 6.x.

If you're a developer of Qt (which you are), then the latest dev branch of
every module or the latest 6.0 branch of every module works. If there are
issues, you need to fix them and contribute.

If you're not a developer of Qt, then use a release.

> > For people developing Qt, once you've checked the Git repositories out, it
> > doesn't matter whether there's a .gitmodules or not to build.
>
> Lacking a monolothic repo the superrepo is currently pretty much the only
> safe way to find a working combination of reasonably recent states of
> Qt modules. Sure, one can try HEAD of each module first, and it works
> sometimes. In a few more cases commenting out a few unneeded bits helps
> to make it work, but after the third attempt one wants a safe fall back.
> So far the superrepo delivers that.

Like I said above, the latest tip of the branch for every single module. This
recipe has worked for me for 10 years.

> > For example, I always use the latest of the branch in question for
> > every module, regardless of what's stored in the super module.
>
> How much do you depend on modules outside qtbase? With qtbase only you
> practically live in a world of a monolithic repo. Working HEAD is
> expected there.

For my direct work, only qtbase.

For running Qt Creator, well, almost all of them.

> In any case, the point was that "building according to dependency.yaml"
> doesn't give a "build". Different leave modules will have different
> dependencies on qtbase, which cannot be used at the same time.

I didn't know that.