[Development] Qt6 repo

Nibedit Dey nibedit.dev at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 22:18:29 CET 2021

Thank you again everyone for the suggestions.
Most people have agreed that there is a need for simplifying the repo
nomenclature, build system, and scripts. This will attract contributions
from more Qt developers. People who have been using Qt for years are
familiar with the submodules, and the scripts. However, when a new person
tries to contribute, they often get confused with the existing complexities.

Adding inputs from Andy and Volker below:

Andy Nichols :

*"So let's have the discussion then. Qt is already ridiculously hard to
build and contribute to for new-commers not already well acquainted with
the arcane knowledge without additional silliness like this.  Qt 6 has been
released, so it's a bit ridiculous at this point to still point
contributors at the qt5.git super module to contribute to Qt 6.qt = qt4qt5
= qt5 and qt6 (depends on branch).We could come up with a solution that
avoids this.  Why not just have a new supermodule specifically for Qt6 or
for even lower effort have an alias repo called qt6.  It's such a small
thing in practice, but it causes unnecessary confusion for those not
already in-the-know."*

Volker Hilsheimer:

*"Given that there’ll be a Qt 7 and Qt 8, and perhaps not only after 7
years, I’d prefer a “qt. git” which contains only the .gitmodules file
(plus needed LICENSE files), and whatever “bootstrapping” script and README
we want to help with our somewhat special git setup (gerrit specific hooks;
our commit templates; ssh configuration since our gerrit server listens on
port 29418, and requires a special cypher to be used; that we want people
to pull from code.qt.io <http://code.qt.io> rather than from gerrit; etc).*

*I don’t quite understand why all those Qt 5 branches will confuse people;
if you look for branches, use grep or whatever. So, I’d rather rename
today’s qt.git to qt4.git, and qt5.git to qt.git. Or as a second option
rename qt.git to qt4.git and then start with a fresh qt.git."*

Qt5 repo contains many branches and some have ambiguous names with respect
to the Qt version. e.g: It is not clear whether the *dev *branch is
applicable to Qt5 development or Qt6. Since Qt6 is a major change with the
removal of obsolete modules, there can be confusion while submitting bug
fixes. When Qt7 comes and Qt5 officially gets abandoned, then people who
want to use Qt5 can still keep it maintained without creating further
confusion.

We will wait for the Qt maintainers to take a call on this topic and let us
know the decision.

Best Regards,
Nibedit