[Development] Qt modules, API changes and Qt 6

Oswald Buddenhagen oswald.buddenhagen at gmx.de
Fri Jan 22 12:39:10 CET 2021

On Thu, Jan 21, 2021 at 04:06:03PM +0000, Volker Hilsheimer wrote:

>Do I understand your proposals correctly:
>
>Let’s say I make a change in qtdeclarative that depends on a merged change ‘shaA' in qtbase and on ’shaB’ in qtsvg, then I add something like
>
>dependencies: qtbase:shaA qtsvg:shaB
>
>(or whatever syntax we want) to my qtdeclarative commit message?

yes.

>As for the shadow branch(es) in qt5.git or progressively moving gerrit change(es):
>
>* change shaX in qtbase merges, breaks qtdeclarative
>* bot updates shadow-branch's .gitmodules to point at qtbase:shaX; it’s now inconsistent (qtdeclarative doesn’t build or pass tests)
>* coin keeps testing qtdeclarative changes against qtbase:shaX~1 (as per upstream .gitmodules), changes that don’t depend on shaX merge
>* follow-up change shaY in qtdeclarative is staged, with above annotation asking for qtbase:shaX
>* coin tests qtdeclarative with shaY against qtbase:shaX, as per the shadow branch’s .gitmodules. Tests pass, shaY merges, .gitmodules in shadow branch is updated to point at qtdeclarative:shaY
>
>Once the round is complete for all sub modules, the existing git submodule update process updates .gitmodules in the proper branch, and reset the shadow-branch (I suppose).
>
>Was that the idea, Ossi?

i think so. ^^

> It puts some extra burden on contributors and reviewers (add commit
> footer with correct sha1,

remember that this is only for the commits that explicitly ask for a dep
update, and they currently do that by modifying the yaml file.

> which will need some extra care when cherry-picking),

it would be rather exceptional if such a commit was ever backported, so
no problem with that, either.

> but it might be possible for Coin to try to move things  forward
> automatically, just as we do now with the dependency update bot.

yes, of course. the mechanism would stay almost identical, only the
state would be keept in a different (more appropriate) place.

On Thu, Jan 21, 2021 at 04:20:50PM +0000, Tor Arne Vestbø wrote:
>This information does not belong in the commit message.
>
>It belongs in dependencies.yaml,

that's just something you're postulating, completely ignoring the points
made against the very existence of that file.