[Development] Merging qtquickcontrols2 into qtdeclarative

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Tue Jul 13 01:57:25 CEST 2021

On Monday, 12 July 2021 14:22:54 PDT Elvis Stansvik wrote:
> Personally I'm always frustrated when I hit a dead end during git
> blame. Even if the original repo will be kept around, it's an added
> obstacle. And at some point, I'm sure it will no longer be available.

Yup, very often you do a git blame and you get to "Initial import from the
monolithic Qt.", which is the beginning of the split repositories in Qt 5. You
can do a git replace to stitch together with the qt.git history, but as you
said it's an extra obstacle. Though in that case it's a valid reason, since we
split the repositories instead of merging.

Then you do a git blame there and find it came from "Long live Qt 4.5!", the
initial Git public history commit.

I also remember once when I was still at Nokia / Trolltech doing a git blame
on the old history imported from Perforce and the line I was searching for,
modulo a massive tab-removal commit, led back to the first check in of Qt into
CVS.

https://github.com/qt/qt/blob/4.8/src/corelib/tools/qpoint.h#L96-L102

The macros changed; the whitespace got replaced, but the #else is from the
very first Qt commit.

And this one is probably so too and is STILL there:
https://github.com/qt/qtbase/blob/dev/src/corelib/kernel/qobjectdefs.h#L60-L69