[Development] Multi-Selection behavior of item views breaks drag'n'drop UX - options

Lars Knoll lars.knoll at qt.io
Tue Jun 1 14:28:28 CEST 2021

On 28 May 2021, at 16:37, Konstantin Shegunov <kshegunov at gmail.com<mailto:kshegunov at gmail.com>> wrote:

On Fri, May 28, 2021 at 2:13 PM Volker Hilsheimer <volker.hilsheimer at qt.io<mailto:volker.hilsheimer at qt.io>> wrote:
Hey Widget fans,

Hola,

I need your opinions on https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-59888

The UX resulting from our (strange) choice to trigger selection changes on mouse press rather than mouse release is indeed quite horrible, as explained in the ticket.

The options to fix that seem to be:

1) change the default behavior - always change selection on mouse release
2) change the default behavior if drag (as per dragDropMode)
3) make the "selection trigger" a property

Personally, I'd go for 1). This is rather usual from the user point of view. That's how buttons and other UI elements typically operate - by handling the behaviour whenever the release occurred over the element of interest.

Another +1 for changing the default behavior.

Cheers,
Lars

Also this thread[1] may be of interest to you. Implementing 1) is also probably going to make the hack to change the selection back moot.

[1] https://forum.qt.io/topic/126692/reordering-rows-of-qtableview-with-drag-and-drop

Kind regards,
Konstantin.