[Development] Solutions for ensuring that changes in upstream modules are tested with downstream modules before merging

Mitch Curtis mitch.curtis at qt.io
Fri Jun 4 13:56:04 CEST 2021

Hi.

A common problem I see is that a change in say qtbase or qtdeclarative can cause test failures in modules that depend on them after that change is merged. As a result, dependency updates for the downstream modules can be blocked, requiring the module maintainer to look into the failure, only to discover that it is caused by an upstream module. This causes a lot of time and effort to be diverted away from regular work. Both upstream and downstream developers would benefit from having more immediate CI feedback on these kinds of changes.

https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-79454 was created to track this problem. So far the ideas suggested have been:

- Run tests of dependent modules when testing a change, in addition to the regular tests for that module
- Merge repositories of more tightly coupled modules (e.g. move qtquickcontrols2 into qtdeclarative)

It would be beneficial to discuss the advantages and disadvantages of these and other solutions so that we can address this problem.

Cheers.