[Development] Solutions for ensuring that changes in upstream modules are tested with downstream modules before merging

Volker Hilsheimer volker.hilsheimer at qt.io
Fri Jun 4 16:51:08 CEST 2021

> On 4 Jun 2021, at 16:10, Mitch Curtis <mitch.curtis at qt.io> wrote:

Thanks.

As for the topic:

I do think that we have cases where too many modules are lumped into a single repo, and cases where we have too much granularity.

For the former: I see no immediate reason why QtNetwork needs to be in qtbase (network tests failing is a major cause of unrelated integrations failing), or why the Qt Positioning module needs to be in qtlocation.

For the latter: Qt Quick Controls 2 might be better off sharing a commit history with QtQuick

However, while we can make adjustments, I also think that there’s no perfect solution. It’s always a tradeoff between speed and autonomy on the one, and integrity across dependencies on the other hand.

Running more tests is a similar tradeoff, and I don’t think blocking an integration into e.g. qtbase because it breaks a leaf module is a good solution to the problem. We should aim for fast feedback, and short meantime to recover such breakages, and making CI runs take even longer helps with neither. In particular if we then can’t make any such changes even though a follow up change in a leaf module is already available and just needs to wait for the dependency update. Then we are in a deadlock, unless we keep the code in qtbase working for both versions of e.g. qtdeclarative, which is not always practical.

The problem is perhaps not that we break things, but that we don’t notice for too long that we broke things? And once we do notice, we often seem to be unwilling to revert the change that did cause the breakage, if things don’t get fixed quickly.

To know about breakage quicker, a nighly run of all tests against “HEAD of everything” could help. Our dependency updates give us some of that, and we usually respond swiftly when an update fails. It shouldn’t be on the leaf module maintainer alone to follow up on things, and I do have the impression that people do take ownership, at least once they see that their base module change broke stuff. I’m sure we can improve there as well.
But now that Qt 6 is out, I’d expect that a “everything at HEAD” toplevel build should work most of the time. My local worktrees are usually at HEAD of everything, and it’s rare that there are build problems at least.

Lastly, I do think that we could do more in encoding assumptions made across modules in unit tests. If a change in qtdeclarative breaks an assumption made in qqc2, then ideally there’s a unit test in qtdeclarative that would fail. We use private APIs a lot across some modules, but we don’t have unit tests for them in the base module.

Volker