[Development] Removal of configure.json files

Joerg Bornemann joerg.bornemann at qt.io
Wed Jun 16 15:23:49 CEST 2021

Hi,

The CMake build in Qt 6 uses configure.cmake files that have been
converted from the configure.json files. If you've changed a
configure.cmake file you probably have been asked to change
configure.json too - to keep the content in sync.
This modus operandi is tedious and error-prone.

At this point in time, we're convinced that all necessary information
was properly converted and the configure.cmake API is mature enough and
matching the old configure.json approach feature-wise.

Therefore we would like to remove the configure.json files from all
repositories, except the ones that need to build with Qt5 and Qt6.

We would like to do this removal for 6.2 already, because this would
greatly simplify cherry-picks of configure.cmake changes from dev.

If you have any objections, shoot!

Cheers,

Joerg

Tracking issue: https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-89536