[Development] Mirror IRC channels on KDE's Matrix Instance

Cristián Maureira-Fredes Cristian.Maureira-Fredes at qt.io
Mon Jun 28 12:51:02 CEST 2021

Hello everyone,

Context
-------

After the "Improve the contributor experience" session at the past Qt
Contributors Summit, many ideas came out related to an overall
improvement to the contribution experience, mainly focused on new
people joining the Qt Project.

One of the topics was Communication,
from which we (qt project people) discussed together with some KDE folks
and agreed that bringing the Qt and KDE communities closer was a good
idea, mainly based on the good experience KDE has currently on the
platform.

We have a good opportunity to do this via a bridge from our newly
created Libera.chat IRC channels, to KDE's Matrix Instance.

During the QtCS,
we tried this out, and mirrored the #qt-cs IRC channel
to Matrix: https://go.kde.org/matrix/#/#qt-cs:kde.org
and according to the people that participated in the session the
experience was nice, and it might be worth to bridge all the other
#qt-* channels on IRC.

Read more about Matrix: https://matrix.org/
Read more about KDE's Matrix Instance: https://community.kde.org/Matrix

Implications
------------

If you prefer IRC, it's totally fine,
this change would only imply that you will get more people
on IRC to interact with.

If you want to move to Matrix completely, this change will enable
you to stay in touch with folks on the IRC channels.

Permissions work different on Matrix than IRC,
but with the current list of moderators in the #qt- domain
we can easily assign permissions to people on the Matrix
channels accordingly.

Let's keep the discussion of other communication platforms
outside this thread, while they might be valid, it's
out of the scope of this proposal.

Question
--------

I would like to ask the Qt Project if you agree or disagree
with the proposal to mirror all the #qt-* channels from Libera.chat
to KDE's Matrix Instance.

If we don't have unresolved disagreements, I'd say we can
proceed with the mirroring Monday next week, but if there are
concerns, I would prefer to address them first.

Cheers

--
Dr. Cristián Maureira-Fredes
R&D Manager