[Development] New features in CI

Oswald Buddenhagen oswald.buddenhagen at gmx.de
Mon Mar 1 17:02:28 CET 2021

On Mon, Mar 01, 2021 at 01:25:50PM +0000, Lars Knoll wrote:
>First of all, you can now find a ‘Precheck' button in gerrit. That
>button triggers a full CI test run of the Sha1 in the change and will
>post back the result of that run as a comment.

so this simply exposes the pre-existing functionality. that means that
testing a change accurately requires always rebasing it, which is
exactly the opposite of the usual recommendation to not rebase unless
conflicts occur. the system should instead create a build branch which
is simply a rebase of the chosen sha1 (incl. its ancestors) to the tip
of the target branch.

>If a staging branch passes, all the changes contained in that branch
>will be merged into the target branch (can be a fast-forward merge).

you mean actual git merges, rather than rebases/cherry-picks? that will
lead to a completely insane history in busy repositories.

>The one drawback is that we can in some rare cases end up with a
>repository in a state where two staging branches passed CI and didn’t
>conflict when merging them, but the merged state does not pass CI
>anymore for some reason.

if you accept that, there is no point in the custom CI gate in the first
place - just assign a required review label to the CI system like almost
every other project in the world does.

also, rather than sinking more and more resources into coin, you should
have a look at zuul, which is a very gerrit-centric CI with a much
better feature set and an actual community around it.