[Development] A face for the Qt Project

Max Goldstein max.goldstein at qt.io
Fri Mar 19 09:11:19 CET 2021

I like it a lot, a +1 from me.

________________________________
From: Development <development-bounces at qt-project.org> on behalf of Cristián Maureira-Fredes <Cristian.Maureira-Fredes at qt.io>
Sent: Thursday, March 18, 2021 7:38 PM
To: development at qt-project.org <development at qt-project.org>
Subject: [Development] A face for the Qt Project

Dear community,

The Qt Project is a huge effort from many people, and for the same
reason, it's quite interesting to (1) Learn how to contribute and be
part of it, and (2) Analyze the interactions of the many
Qt modules.

For people new to the project, contributing to Qt might be challenging,
but I'm certain we all agree that being clear, and provide all the
information in one place is crucial to at least enable them to do
the first step.

On the other hand, if you have been around for a while,
you know that Thiago's blog has a good set of statistics [1]
that helps a lot to get an overview of the current state of the project.

With these two ideas in mind, it makes sense to use qt-project.org
as the face of the Qt Project, highlighting the two previous points
I described.

I would like to ask the community, if we are in favor of using
the proposal from [2] as qt-project.org.

The goal will be to have this repository under our open governance,
so anyone will be able to suggest changes, as we do in Qt.

The idea will be not to duplicate content from https://qt.io,
but focus on aspects related to contributing to the project.

# About the implementation

The page you can see on [2] was generated with Dash,
a Python module based on Plotly [3], and the data comes from the
meta qt5.git repository, including also the qt-creator and pyside-setup
ones.

The text you see on the left-side cards, comes from local Markdown
files, so also it would be straightforward to edit them.

I will upload the code if the community agrees to go forward,
so then we could be able to create a public repository to keep
this code.

Cheers

[1] https://www.macieira.org/blog/qt-stats/
[2] https://qt-project-org.herokuapp.com