[Development] Shipping additional libraries as binaries with Qt 6.1

Tuukka Turunen tuukka.turunen at qt.io
Mon Mar 22 16:28:11 CET 2021

Hi,

We are planning to deliver binaries of additional libraries via the online installer starting from Qt 6.1 beta 3, i.e. revert back to the model used with Qt 5. Despite the improvements achieved with Creator 4.15 and Qt 6.1 for the package manager functionality the approach introduced with Qt 6.0 for additional libraries is not providing as good developer experience as desired.

With Qt 6.0 we introduced a hybrid model using online installer for common parts of Qt and Conan package manager for additional libraries (distributed in source code), described at https://www.qt.io/blog/qt-6-additional-libraries-via-package-manager. The hybrid model is planned to continue throughout the Qt 6.0.x series, but no longer for Qt 6.1.x.

Work continues for realizing the package manager vision in parallel with the online installer approach.

Yours,

                Tuukka